Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Breathing Space

Sometimes I just need a little air.  Sometimes I need a lot.  Lately I can't seem to breathe very well.  It's largely due to asthma and the pollen in the air from blooming trees.  Suffice to say, it was enough to ruin my first big run of the year.  'Harry's Spring Run-Off' in which I have participated every year since reaching my goal weight was held over Easter weekend and to say my performance was less than stellar is putting it mildly.  being unable to get a proper rhythm established with my breathing meant I was unable to run at all.  I managed a slow jog for the first 20 minutes and after that I was forced to run-walk (mostly walk) the rest of it.  It was agonising.  I was exhausted and just wanted to walk away.  Most discouraging.  My lungs ached for the rest of the day and I was coughing a lot.  I've been pumping both the asthma meds and antihistamines but nothing will help until the trees stop blooming.

I've been trying to get back to a more active life by walking more.  I walked on the boardwalk yesterday with my speed-walking friend but the midges were so bad there was danger of inhaling one every time I opened my mouth.  Every Spring, together with the blooming of the trees comes a vast hoard of small flies that congregate at the beach.  We used to encounter them at boot camp.  I breathed on in yesterday and coughed for several seconds.  My lungs were irritated the rest of the day.  Today I'm feeling husky and congested and I haven't even set foot outside yet.

And yet.... it's Spring and the days, while still cool, are lovely.  We took our puppy walking in a dog park in the Don Valley on Monday and it was if all the butterflies had hatched on the same day.  Our little doggy running through trees flushing hoards of Painted Lady butterflies was a charming sight.  Daffodils and Fritillaria are blooming in our front garden and will soon be followed by tulips.  And soon, very soon, I will be able to run again.   Don't know if the mood-elevating drugs have kicked in yet but life fells somewhat better and I'm hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment