Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Gratitude

People have told me I'm lucky to have been able to embrace a healthier lifestyle.  I'm not a believer in luck - or should I say I see luck the way Stephen Leacock, the legendary Canadian writer and humourist once put it?  He said "I'm a great believer in Luck.  I've found that the harder I work the luckier I get".

Rather than feeling lucky these days I feel grateful.  I'm grateful that I have learned what I needed to do in order to stay fit and healthy and that I also do them.  Many people are smart enough to know about calories in vs. calories out but how many are willing to act upon that knowledge?  If I sound smug I don't care.  I've seen too many people talk themselves out of whatever they need to do because they are so sure they can't.  It really means 'won't'.

To that end, having given up my gym membership temporarily, I vowed to continue working out on my own throughout the summer.  I miss not having a trainer, if just for the opportunity to learn new ways of working out, but I'm glad I'm able to put to use some of the techniques I've learned over the last few months.  I've been using the fitness room at the club we belong to exercising with Higgie and a friend of ours outdoors at the beach ever since the weather turned warm.  Higgie went to work early this morning and our friend was a no-show but I still worked out.  Why?  Especially since I was so tired from a long and grueling weekend at work?  because I know I have to.  And for that I'm grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment