Thursday, January 27, 2011

I Can Do This

Training again.  My weight is fluctuating and I need to be more consistent.  While I'm still at goal I really don't like being in that upper two pound margin.  So, today I worked on running for speed and increased the treadmill speed from 4.5 kph to 5.0 and 5.5 kph.  I ran for 62 minutes covering approximately five miles.  While I ran I concentrated on form, pulling in my stomach and having a more erect carriage to avoid tightness and pain in my lower back later.  Doing so I was reminded of how people often say "Suck it up!" when things get tough.  I think what they should really be saying is "Suck it in!" because when you do so you activate a whole realm of muscles which can give you an incredible burst of strength - a hidden reserve, as it were.

I'm finding spending that much time on the treadmill is no longer as taxing as it was a few weeks ago.  I'll be able to push past the one hour mark in the next few weeks, I'm thinking.  I can't help but reflect on how far I've come.  I think about this daily.  To go from being a person who couldn't climb stairs to someone who finds an intense one hour cardio work out 'not that taxing' is nothing short of a miracle.  And then it hits me: I'm 57 years old!  Ten years it would never have been possible.

I also find I'm managing to wean my self off my trainer habit.  I had become so attached to Bruce, and while I'm sorry my plans for winter training didn't work out the way I had hoped, I know I have the discipline to carry on by myself - with Higgie's help, of course!  I've come this far, so I know I can keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment