Friday, June 17, 2011

Saying Goodbye

It is with some sadness that  I have said goodbye to my job as a Weight Watchers leader.  I had a remarkable two years and enjoyed it very much but it is time for me to go.  I realise I have moved in another direction and to that end my talents are best served elsewhere.  

Weight loss is difficult and I believe it requires a particular mindset.  Without sufficient discipline and determination it can be nearly impossible for some people and while I have seen many successes there were too many people falling by the wayside that I couldn't reach.  I can only say, 'Let those who have ears hear'.  Perhaps there will be someone else there for them. 

While I see my journey as being far from over, I was having difficulty accessing the same amount of enthusiasm as I once had for the program and it was beginning to show. I will continue to pursue fitness goals as I believe that ultimately they are more important for me at my stage of this journey.  I need to do what's best for me.  To that end, I will blog more here about boot camp and my other types of physical training. 

Nothing has ever  empowered me as much as learning during my first boot camp four years ago that I could actually DO this!  Going from a sedentary lifestyle to a fit and active one at my time in life was the most exciting thing that has ever happened to me.  I often tell my trainer, Bruce that next to Higgie he is the best thing that has ever happened to me.

I often find myself thinking about the film "Chariots of Fire".  Higgie hated it and I thought it was over-long, but I will always remember the line the young Scottish runner spoke when he described how it felt to run.  He said he could 'feel God's pleasure'.  I feel the same.  To feel my body moving rhythmically and steadily is a form of meditation for me.  It clears my head of any of the evil that tends to lurk there; my lack of patience, anger, jealousy and other damaging thoughts all seem to fade.  I need to go to that place more often and concentrate on moving more all the time.  It's what will keep me thin - and sane.

No comments:

Post a Comment